Repairs, continued


Here are a couple of pictures showing the cab before and after the repairs.  Notice the reinstalled Nathan injector under the cab.




Here are some more photos of the locomotive after all the repairs were completed:






Tender Trucks…


As I said earlier the original tender trucks turned out to be unsalvageable.  I spent at least a hour and a half trying to straighten them out so the axles would be perpendicular to the side frames.  I did manage to get the axles perpendicular, but I couldn’t get the trucks to sit flat with all the wheels on the track at the same time.  I finally gave up and said it wasn’t worth the effort. 


I substituted a new set of Precision Scale trucks instead, but this was not without its troubles.  The bolsters on the Precision Scale trucks are considerably higher than the flat bolsters on the original trucks.  I ended up having to mill down the bolsters so that the tender would sit at the correct height.  The original trucks were mounted with a 2mm shouldered screw from inside the tender.  Naturally the Precision Scale trucks were clearance drilled for a 2-56 screw.  So the screw that threaded into the trucks was .078” and mounting hole in the trucks was .088”.  Obviously the screw wouldn’t thread into the trucks without some intervention.  To fix the problem I drilled out the mounting holes to .093” and then made a piece of brass tubing that measured .063” ID x .093” OD.  I used the piece of tubing as an insert to reduce the size of the hole.  Once soldered in place I tapped the .063” hole to a 2mm x 0.4 thread.  When finished the trucks mounted as the originals, and the tender body was now at the correct height.


Now maybe you can see why I spent at least an hour and a half of frustration trying to salvage the originals…


Here’s a picture of the tender with new trucks installed:




Page 5 - Last updated April 19, 2004


Next page              Previous page